In his first week in office, new US president Donald Trump reinstated the Global Gag Rule. Research Officers Ashlee Betteridge and Camilla Burkot discuss the likely consequences and why Australia should stick to its current guidelines for family planning and Australian aid.
The Seasonal Worker Program (SWP) grew by 50% in 2015-16. Research Officer Henry Sherrell explores new data from the Departments of Employment and Immigration to shed light on who exactly is coming to Australia under the program.
What is the current state of play when it comes to aid transparency? Devpolicy Associate Director Robin Davies interviews Rupert Simons and Elise Dufief of Publish What You Fund about global progress on aid transparency, methodology for measuring it, and avenues for pushing forward in this area.
As we enter a new year, what political developments can we expect in the Pacific? Read Visiting Fellow Tess Newton Cain's annual Pacific Predictions to learn more about what is likely to unfold in the region in 2017.
The Devpolicy Blog published nearly 350 articles by 156 authors in 2016 - catch up on the highlights and collect some summer reading ideas in our annual best of the blog wrap-up.
- Reno Kola on The New Guinea Diaries: remembering PNG’s first anthropologist
- Tom Perry on Communications for protection: a three-minute aid pitch
- Lisa Smyth on Communications for protection: a three-minute aid pitch
- Paulo on PNG Supreme Court ruling on Manus Island detention centre
No upcoming events
- Labor skews logic on effect of backpackers on wages
Henry Sherrell quoted in The Australian.
- Cost of rental housing in PNG too high for low income earners
Michelle Rooney on Radio Australia's Pacific Beat.
- 2016 PNG Update
EMTV story on the 2016 PNG Update.