Has PNG been able to translate its booming mineral wealth into services for ordinary people? This new NRI-ANU report shares the findings of a 2012 survey of 360 primary schools and primary health care clinics across eight provinces in PNG, from the nation's capital to its most inaccessible regions.
Matthew Dornan and Robin Davies weigh in to the debate surrounding Australia's decision to not become a founding member of the China-led AIIB. Was Australia's choice the right one?
Three recent posts look at the big questions for Pacific labour mobility. Where is the Pacific seasonal worker game changer? Why are Melanesians living in Australia better educated than their Polynesian counterparts? And could the Australia-Pacific Technical College (APTC) finally be taking steps to facilitate labour mobility in the region? Catch up on all our Pacific labour mobility posts here.
When they are surveyed, Australians appear to be supportive of aid work. But little else is known about the nature of their support. A new Devpolicy Discussion Paper looks at support for ODA and donations to development NGOs at the electorate level to assess which socioeconomic factors or political beliefs might influence their support.
The 2015 Australasian Aid Conference will be held on 12-13 February at ANU, with a line-up of high level home-grown and international speakers. Registrations are now open.
- Palms Australia on The dry season’s ‘triple burden’ on rural lives in Timor-Leste
- Jon Fraenkel on Devil’s Night! What goes right in Solomons elections, what doesn’t, and what to expect
- Andrew A Mako on Getting services to survivors: a progress report from Lae
- Terence Wood on Devil’s Night! What goes right in Solomons elections, what doesn’t, and what to expect
- Changes to Solomon Islands political system still need work
Terence Wood speaks to Radio Australia on Solomon Islands elections.
- UN Green Climate Fund: it’s time for Australia to step up
Visiting Fellow Jonathan Pickering writes for The Conversation.
- PNG releases budget increasing funds for MP's electorates
Stephen Howes speaks to The World on the PNG budget.